Sexual Assault Forensic Examination Procedures
The RN may collect evidence from the sexual assault victim in compliance with the North Dakota Sexual Assault Evidence Collection Protocol and in accordance with facility policy.
It is within the scope of practice of an RN to perform a vaginal speculum/colposcopic exam for the purpose of collecting specimens from the sexual assault victims following these requirements:
- Satisfactory completion of formal advanced education in forensic examination of sexual assault victims;
- Documentation of satisfactory completion of the course of instruction is on file with the employer;
- The registered nurse has the knowledge skills and judgement for the task;
- Qualified backup is available; and
- It is within the agency’s policies.
A National Protocol for Sexual Assault Medical Forensic Examinations (Adults/Adolescents). U.S. Department of Justice; Office on Violence Against Women: September 2004.
North Dakota Sexual Assault Evidence Collection Protocol – 4th Edition, North Dakota Office of the Attorney General, North Dakota Council on Abused Women’s Services/Coalition Against Sexual Assault in North Dakota and The Otto Bremer Foundation, Bismarck, ND: May 2005.
North Dakota Sexual Assault Medical Standards of Care. North Dakota Sexual Assault Medical Standards Committee, North Dakota Council on Abused Women’s Services/Coalition Against Sexual Assault in North Dakota. Bismarck, ND: March 2005.