Nursing Education Loan Program Policies
for Refresher Course Students
- Return the completed application to the ND Board of Nursing.
- $25 nonrefundable application fee.
- The board will consider the following information to determine the financial need of the applicant:
- Total cost of the refresher course.
- The spouse of an education loan applicant is not acceptable as the co-signer of the note. The co-signer of the note should be a North Dakota resident. If the co-signer is not a ND resident, the applicant will provide a letter of explanation. Proof of majority of the co-signer (18 years or older) may be requested by board staff.
- A written statement from the refresher course coordinator verifying the applicants acceptance and enrollment in the refresher course.
LOAN DISBURSEMENT PROCESS:
- Education loan recipients must return the signed notes to the board office after notification of award before the disbursement may be made.
- Refresher course education loan recipients may not take longer than 12 months from the date of enrollment to complete the course, unless an extension is granted by the course provider and the board is notified. The absolute time limit to complete the course is 18 months.
LOAN REPAYMENT PROCESS:
- The nursing education loan may be repaid by nursing employment in North Dakota. The repayment rate will be one dollar per hour of employment. The Board of Nursing will ask for verification of actual hours worked for employment credit from the employer.
- Interest and repayment on all notes will begin on the date of withdrawal or dismissal from the refresher course.
- Recipients completing a refresher course must provide the board with the name and address of their North Dakota employer within sixty days of completion of the course. If employment in North Dakota is terminated before the loan is canceled, interest will begin to accrue on the unpaid balance from the date of termination.
- The refresher course student who is not re-licensed and employed within sixty days of completion of the course must begin to make repayment and interest will begin to accrue.
- Education loan recipients and their co-signers who are sixty (60) days delinquent in repayment of their account will be reported to the credit bureau.