Renew/Reactivate Nursing Licenses
Practice Requirements for Licensure Renewal
Nursing practice for the purposes of relicensure must meet or exceed 400 hours within the preceding four (4) years. Hours practiced in another regulated profession cannot be used for nursing practice hours.
- Nurses who have completed a refresher course within the preceding year or graduated from a nursing undergraduate or nursing graduate program in the last four (4) years with less than 400 hours of nursing practice will be able to renew their license without meeting this requirement.
Continuing Education for Licensure Renewal
The Nurse Practices Act contains continuing education requirements in Section 43-12.1-20. For that reason, before the Board may renew or reactivate a license, the licensee must verify to the Board that the required continuing education requirements have been met by certification on the renewal or reactivation form.
The Board determined in Section 54-02-05-08 that continuing education for purposes of relicensure must meet or exceed twelve (12) contact hours within the preceding two (2) years.
An APRN with Prescriptive Authority must complete 15 contact hours of pharmacotherapy education related to scope of practice during the previous two (2) years. These contact hours fulfill the registered nurse renewal continuing education requirement. NDCC 5-05-03.1-11
- An applicant that obtained initial RN or LPN licensure through examination will not need to complete additional contact hours of approved continuing education before the first renewal of a nursing license. The requirements have been met through the academic coursework.
- An applicant for reactivation of a license can use the refresher course contact hours for the first renewal cycle after reactivation of a license.
- A renewal applicant must have completed the continuing education requirements prior to renewal.
- The ND Board of Nursing performs random audits of compliance with this mandatory renewal requirement.
- Continuing education completed after December 31 in the year of renewal will be assessed a fee of $50 per contact hour earned after that date (ie-$600 for 12 contact hours done after December 31).
- If audited, failure to provide proof of continuing education may result in sanctions against your nursing license (ie-$500 for LPN Reprimand or $600 for RN Reprimand).
View Renewal Approved Continuing Education FAQ here
Renew/Reactivate your License
- You may update your name/address and other demographic information during online renewal/reactivation
- If your browser has auto-fill enabled, don't use it. Type in all information for accuracy.
- Allow 3-5 business days for your updated expiration date to display on our Verify site after renewal of an active license. Saturday, Sunday and holidays are not considered business days.
- To view and print your license information, including your license number and expiration date, go to the Verify section of this website. No hard copy licenses are mailed.
- Choose the button below to renew/reactivate - non-refundable fees are listed below button.
- For nurses whose license expires 12/31/2021: We encourage you to renew as soon as possible. If you renew December 30-31, 2021 your updated expiration date will NOT display on our website until January 3, 2022 due to the New Year holiday. If you need to practice January 1-3, 2022 you MUST renew your license before December 30, 2021 so your updated license expiration date will display on our website.
RENEW/REACTIVATE YOUR LICENSE HERE
All fees are non-refundable
RENEWAL FOR ACTIVE LICENSES
(License is active and expires 12/31/current year) Renewal for active licenses is only available Oct-Dec of the year it expires.
(If the month is January and your license expired 12/31/previous year)
(All other licenses that are expired/inactive and do not fall within the Late Renewal scenario)
Reactivated licenses expire 12/31/following year
- LPN = $130
- RN = $140
- Specialty Practice RN = $220
- Advanced Practice RN = $220
- Advanced Practice RN with RX authority = $295
- Advanced Practice license ONLY (when you have your RN license in another compact state) = $80
- Advanced Practice with RX authority ONLY (when you have your RN license in another compact state)= $155
- Specialty Practice license ONLY (when you have your RN license in another compact state) = $80
- LPN = $260
- RN = $280
- Specialty Practice RN = $440
- Advanced Practice RN = $440
- Advanced Practice RN with RX authority = $590
- Advanced Practice license ONLY (when you have your RN license in another compact state) = $160
- Advanced Practice with RX authority ONLY (when you have your RN license in another compact state)= $310
- Specialty Practice license ONLY (when you have your RN license in another compact state) = $160
Additional fees may be added if you practiced in January without a current license.
- LPN = $200
- RN = $210
- Specialty Practice RN = $290
- Advanced Practice RN with an Inactive RN license = $290
- Advanced Practice RN with RX authority and an Inactive RN = $365
- Advanced Practice license ONLY (when you have your RN license in another compact state or a current ND RN license) = $150
- Advanced Practice with RX authority ONLY (when you have your RN license in another compact state or a current ND RN license)= $225
- Specialty Practice license ONLY (when you have your RN license in another compact state or a current ND RN license) = $150
Additional fees may be added if you practiced without a current license.
||If you answered no to the question asking if you practiced in January, your employer must complete a Verification of Practice form.
||If you have not completed a Criminal History Record Check (CHRC) for the ND Board of Nursing in the past 180 days you will need to complete one - CHRC Instructions here.
If your application is complete, you will receive a 90-day non-renewable temporary permit while the Board office is waiting for your CHRC to be completed. Temporary permits can only be used in ND as they are single state and cannot be compact. An email will be sent when the temporary permit and/or full licensure has been issued. To view your temporary permit and/or license information, including the updated expiration date, go to the Verify section of this website. There are no hard copy licenses mailed.
If the applicant has not completed all steps of the application process within one year, the application fee will be forfeited and a new application will be required.