NDBON Seal Logo
Important Update: Licensing System Now Live

The North Dakota Board of Nursing is excited to announce that our new licensing system is now live. You can access the system by clicking "Nurse Portal" in the below navigation bar. Learn more by reading our news release at: https://www.ndbon.org/article.asp?id=190.

Student Nurse Intern Guidance 

The North Dakota Board of Nursing reaffirmed that a student nurse must be actively enrolled in a nursing program and course at an approved in-state nursing education program (with faculty supervision/oversight) or an out-of-state nursing education program (after proper notification to the Board and recognition) to meet the student exemption criteria within the Nurse Practices Act, NDCC Chapter 43-12.1.

In the instances when normal academic operations are not in session or during periodic breaks, a student nurse would not be entitled to work in any capacity under the student exemption, unless a course is continuing through the academic break. However, a student may work as an Unlicensed Assistive Person (UAP) if they are on the UAP registry or the Certified Nurse Aide (CNA) registry. The functions of the UAP must be delegated by a licensed nurse and within the rules governed by NDAC Article 54-05 Standards of Practice. 

The exemption within the Nurse Practices Act, NDCC Chapter 43-12.1-04, Subsections (2), (12) applies only to students who are enrolled in a nursing course at a board approved nursing education program and are participating in clinical experiences as part of the educational program. Nursing students assuming internship roles must be enrolled in a course at a board approved nursing education program that is designed to provide supervision for the student in the clinical setting. The supervised clinical practice of the internship student must be based on content from required nursing courses that the student has completed and has received a grade acceptable for progression in the nursing program. Nursing students employed and providing nursing care to clients in other capacities must be on the UAP or CNA registry. The applicant for medication assistant III registration must have registration on the UAP registry.

(Initial 2005; Reaffirmed 2012, 2022).


Page Updated: 6/1/2023 8:56:17 AM