Retesting in the Event You Fail Your NCLEX
If you fail your NCLEX exam, you will receive an email from the North Dakota Board of Nursing. Included in this email is a Candidate Performance Report regarding your failing result for the NCLEX and instructions for retesting. Read this report and follow the instructions included with this email carefully.
You may retest 45 days from the date of your last test.
REQUEST FOR ELIGIBILITY TO RETEST
This application is only for individuals who previously applied for license by exam in North Dakota and need to retake the exam. ONLY COMPLETE THIS RETEST APPLICATION IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED NOTIFICATION FROM THE ND BOARD OF NURSING THAT YOU FAILED YOUR NCLEX.
As of January 1, 2004 ND joined the Nurse Licensure Compact. You are not eligible for licensure in ND if your primary state of residence is a compact state other than ND. Primary state of residence is where you hold a driver's license, pay taxes and/or vote. This state is referred to as your "home state" under the Nurse Licensure Compact and means that it is your "declared fixed permanent and principal home for legal purposes". To view a list of compact states please go to www.ncsbn.org and choose Nurse Licensure Compact.
To qualify for licensure as a practical nurse by examination in the state of North Dakota, you must have completed a board-approved practical nurse program. To qualify for licensure as a registered nurse by examination in the state of North Dakota, you must have completed a board-approved registered nurse program.
REQUEST FOR ELIGIBILITY TO RETEST APPLICATION
- Complete this online Request for Eligibility to Retest Application.
- If you are applying to retest within one year of your initial eligibility test date or within one year of your most recent reapplication fee, you are not required to pay the $125.00 license by examination fee or the $20 processing fee with this testing.
- If you are applying to retest after one year of your initial eligibility test date or after one year of your most recent reapplication fee, you will be charged $125.00 license by examination fee and $20 processing fee for a total of $145 at the end of this online Request for Eligibility to Retest payable by debit card, credit card, PayPal account, or checking account information. You will also need to complete a Criminal History Record Check.
- Work authorizations are not issued for retesting. You are no longer able to practice as a graduate nurse or graduate practical nurse once you have failed the licensing examination.
REGISTRATION TO RETEST
- You need to register with NCLEX Candidate Services at www.pearsonvue.com/nclex or phone 1-866-496-2539. This should be done at the same time you complete this online application to the Board of Nursing. NCLEX Candidate Services will notify the board office of your registration.
- Once you have registered with NCLEX Candidate Services and have been deemed eligible for licensure by board staff, NCLEX Candidate Services will e-mail you an Authorization to Test (ATT).
CRIMINAL HISTORY RECORD CHECK
If you are required to complete a Criminal History Record Check (per item 1b above), instructions will be included while completing this online application and will also be included on your receipt. Please read and follow these instructions carefully.
When you have completed the registration process with NCLEX Candidate Services and have submitted this online Request for Eligibility to Retest to the board office, your application will be reviewed and when approved, you will be deemed eligible to test.
If you have any address changes after completing this application, make sure to do an Address Change on this website