NDBON Seal Logo
Important Update: Licensing System Now Live

The North Dakota Board of Nursing is excited to announce that our new licensing system is now live. You can access the system by clicking "Nurse Portal" in the below navigation bar. Learn more by reading our news release at: https://www.ndbon.org/article.asp?id=190.

Unlicensed Assistive Person Registry FAQ

  1. What are the minimum competency requirements for UAP?

54-07-03.1-01 Competence means having the required knowledge, skills, and ability to perform delegated nursing interventions safely, accurately and according to standard procedures.  This must fit the criteria or requirement for their specific role

  1. When might an unlicensed assistive person not be responsible to the licensed nurse?

The Unlicensed Assistive Person may participate in the giving of direct care services at consumer direction.  The UAP is responsible to the individual (consumer) directing their own care for services provided to that individual (consumer). 

  1. Does an entity/facility have to verify the Unlicensed Assistive Person registration in order to be able to utilize them to perform nursing tasks? 

The Unlicensed Assistive Person rules require that an entity/facility only employ individuals to perform nursing tasks if on a registry. To verify if an individual is on the Unlicensed Assistive Person registry check the "Verify" link. A copy of the verification of registry status may be printed off the website.  “Current registration” is interpreted to mean the date the license was issued by the board office as the effective date of registration rather than the date the registrant receives the registry card.

  1. What interventions may I as a nurse not delegate to an unlicensed assistive person?

As a nurse, you may not delegate interventions that require nursing knowledge, skill, and judgment. These activities include (54-07-03.1-03.1):

  1. Physical, psychological, and social assessment which requires professional nursing judgment, intervention, referral, or follow-up.
  2. Development of nursing diagnosis and care goals.
  3. Formulation of the plan of nursing care.
  4. Evaluation of the effectiveness of the nursing care provided.
  5. Teaching except for that related to promoting independence in activities of daily living.
  6. Counseling, except that the unlicensed assistive person may be instructed to recognize and report basic deviations from healthy behavior and communication patterns, and may provide listening, empathy, and support.
  7. Coordination and management of care including collaborating, consulting, and referring.
  8. Triage.
  9. Medication administration may not be delegated unless the unlicensed assistive person has met the requirements of NDAC chapter 54-07-05. The exception is when a licensed nurse specifically delegates to a specific unlicensed assistive person the administration of a specific medication for a specific client.
  10. Receiving or transmitting verbal or telephone orders.


  1. What is a “lapsed” Registry status?

Initial registry listing will be subject to renewal on or before June 30 of the second year and every two years thereafter.  Prior to expiration, the unlicensed assistive person must verify that he/she has been employed as an unlicensed assistive person and have verification of competence by an employer or licensed nurse. If the unlicensed assistive person fails to provide this information or has not worked as an unlicensed assistive person, their status becomes inactive or “lapsed”. A lapsed registry status may be reactivated by meeting the renewal requirements and payment of the required fee.

  1. I never received my renewal notice and my registration expired. Why didn’t I get my renewal notice?

Renewal emails are emailed to the current email address on file for each unlicensed assistive person. Unlicensed assistive persons have the responsibility to notify the Board of any change of address, email address, or telephone number so that renewal notices and other correspondence will be received. You may change your address, email address or telephone number online. Failure to receive a renewal notice does not relieve you of the obligation to renew your registration before the expiration date.

  1. I did not receive a paper card when I renewed my unlicensed assistive person registration or medication assistant registration.  What do I do?

The Board no longer issues wallet registration renewal cards.  When a registrant renews their registration, a card will NOT be mailed.  To verify if an individual is on the UAP/MA registry check the "Verify" link.  A copy of the verification may be printed from the website. 

Reviewed/Revised 05/20

Page Updated: 4/13/2017 2:23:29 PM