Role of the RN in Gastroenterology Procedures
- It is within the scope of practice for a registered nurse to participate in gastroenterology procedures according to the standards set forth by American Society of Gastroenterology Nurses and Associates if the following requirements are met:
- Written policy and procedures are maintained by the facility.
- Verification of satisfactory completion of formal, continuing education programs and has supervised clinical practice.
- Has been authorized to perform the procedure.
- Has the knowledge, skill, and abilities for the task.
- Has qualified backup available.
- Documentation of satisfactory completion of the course of instruction and supervised practice is on file with the employer.
- Has direct supervision by the endoscopist.
- The RN may delegate to the LPN or technician according to NDAC Chapter 54-05-04 Standards for Assignment and Delegation.